Canadian Immigration Summit 2018: Strengthening Our Economy & Settlement Program
The 2018 Summit is focusing on two major, related themes:
- Growing Canada’s economy
- Strengthening Canada’s settlement program
Due to its aging population and low birth rate, Canada is increasingly relying upon immigrants to spur economic growth. But a key question is: How can Canada better harness the skills of its newcomers to enhance immigration’s economic benefits? The answer largely depends on maintaining a strong settlement program that equips newcomers with the tools that they need to thrive in Canada’s economy and society.
Issues to be tackled at the Summit include:
- Federal growth agenda: What steps can Ottawa take to spur innovation, entrepreneurship, investments, international trade, and inclusive growth through immigration?
- Business community: How can we strengthen their role in the immigration system?
- Meeting Canada’s labour market needs: How can we better ensure the regionalization of immigration and that newcomers address labour market needs in key sectors?
- Provincial Nominee Program at 20: Where do we go from here?
- Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program at 40: What lessons have we learned?
- Settlement program: How can we improve service delivery, including language training, foreign qualification recognition, stakeholder collaboration, supports for temporary residents, funding models, and measuring outcomes?
- Geopolitics: How are global events impacting Canada and how is Canada impacting the world?