International Refugee Rights Conference 2018
In June 2018, the Canadian Council for Refugees invites non-governmental organizations and others to attend an international conference in Toronto designed to enhance effectiveness in promoting the human rights of refugees and vulnerable migrants.
Representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs), academics, government officials, UNHCR representatives, refugees and vulnerable migrants. Special attention will be given to representation from the Global South.
Refugee advocates, academics and others need to learn from each other and strategize across borders, in order to better meet the evolving needs of refugees. The goal of the conference will be to enhance the effectiveness of NGOs in promoting the human rights of refugees and vulnerable migrants.
The conference will provide an opportunity to discuss a wide range of issues facing refugees and other vulnerable migrants.
Objectives of the conference:
- To promote ongoing cross-border networking, knowledge-exchange, strategizing and collaboration among NGOs committed to the rights of refugees and vulnerable migrants, and between NGOs and academics.
- To enhance NGO advocacy for better global protection for refugees and vulnerable migrants, including by giving input into the Global Compacts on refugees and migrants.
- To enhance efforts to educate and engage the public, in order to energize support for policies respecting the rights of refugees and vulnerable migrants.
- To increase knowledge of the inter-connections between policies and practices affecting refugees and migrants in different regions of the world.
- To support the development of NGOs in the Global South committed to the rights of refugees and vulnerable migrants.
- To support the inclusion of the voices of refugees and vulnerable migrants in discussions concerning them.